Sunday 1 January 2012

Helping Hands

Helping Hands. Image - The Labyrinth/Tristar Pictures

Although it may not come across in some of my most recent blog posts (here and here), I support next generation talent in every way I can. Hell, I'm probably considered one myself. What I won't do, is give praise where it isn't due. Or equally, stand by and neglect to scold what I believe deserves to be scolded.

While an 'everyone's a winner' attitude is fine for a breakfast cereal sponsored children's triathlon, it is not fine in the highly competitive adult creative industries - in this case, fashion. It is only through critical analysis that things will improve.

Sure, there are platforms in which developing talent should be nurtured, and shielded from negative remarks - tertiary education publications, for example. However, when sub-standard amateur work is presented within the confines of a completely public and professional platform, I believe it is entirely acceptable to look upon it with a critical eye.

I have had a fair amount of negative feedback within my working life (not to mention within the comments of this blog), and it was such remarks that helped me improve. The negative feedback was often correct, and so changes were made. And where it wasn't correct, it gave me the opportunity to thoroughly consider my own thoughts and ideas, and why I choose to stand by them.

Surely negative feedback, when constructive, is better than none at all? At the very least, it shows that someone cares.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed, however would you not grant those being criticised, the decency to know the identity of the person sharing their viewpoint? One will give more credence knowing your identity as opposed to a ghost with an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody.

    As I've said previously, I didn't start this blog as an attempt to gain respect or credibility (or in this instance, credence). It is simply a platform for my thoughts to develop, and I'm open to both the positive and negative feedback such thoughts receive.

    Base your acceptance or rejection of my opinions on their inherent merit (or lack thereof) alone. Not my identity.

    I treat every comment that I receive with respect, regardless of the identity of the writer. Whether I give it weight or not depends entirely on the content, not who is writing it. The same principle should apply to my readers.

    ReplyDelete