Tuesday 3 January 2012

Zambesi S/S11/12 Campaign Image

Zambesi S/2 2011/12 Campaign. Image - Zambesi/Marissa Findlay

For a fashion house with such vast experience, the recently published Zambesi S/S11/12 campaign image (above), shot by Marissa Findlay, was unusually confusing. Featuring three models surrounded, dressed, and made-up in white, it should have been an exercise in simplicity without distraction.

I must admit that Krystal Glynn at Clyne (middle) looks incredible. She conveys an exclusive, aspirational mood that is expected from one of New Zealand's oldest and most respected fashion houses. Glynn's lipstick is an incredibly striking, yet subtle deep red that demands attention without distracting the eye. Her perfectly tousled platinum blonde hair displays a relaxed attitude while simultaneously alluding to a constant dignity and poise.

The males however, David Kemp at Nova (front) and Joshua Skelton at Vanity Walk (rear), appear to lack the polish and consideration that was given their female counterpart.

Pure white hair, while an impressive feat by Jason Li at Stephen Marr given the natural brunette of both Kemp and Skelton, appears lackluster and undernourished. Rather than implying a nonchalant or carefree attitude, it is one of haste and poverty. The hair of both Kemp and Skelton is neither highly polished, nor effortlessly messy - it seems to hang between both in a confusing limbo.

The 'Zero Tie' clipped onto the neckline of Kemp's tee, is surely the most confusing aspect of this image. Standing out as the only non-white item draws an oddly large amount of attention a completely unnecessary item. The relaxed attitude and ease in which the rest of the garments are worn contradicts the forced and fussy nature of the disco influenced costume tie. The awkward v-neck that is created by the weight of the tie seems out of place, as one of the few sharp angles displayed in this image.

Although these two issues may seem incredibly minor, they distract from what is otherwise an incredible campaign image. I find myself overcome by these two small faults, and unable to appreciate the simplicity of the image as a whole.

This is not the first image used to advertise the Zambesi S/S11/12 collection, but it is the least impressive. There are other, substantially better options. Perhaps it is a matter of sharpening the editing knife and trimming the fat - placing the focus upon fewer images, which display a higher degree of professionalism and a more concise mood.

As I've mentioned before (here), Zambesi do not work with a dedicated stylist, and this may be a good example of why they should.

11 comments:

  1. What about the other images? There is a beautiful one of Glynn in the 'still life' floral print dress and a lovely shot of Kemp in a grey suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben.

    You're quite right. My comments only apply to this particular image, and I've updated my copy to more obviously reflect that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there! i haven't heard of this label, this was the first time, and i need to say that after some research i am happy that u shared so i got to know about it. nice blog girl, can u recommend me someother fashion blogs from NZ?
    xx
    anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna,

    Try these:

    Aych Blog - http://www.aychblog.com/

    Fashion Distraction - http://www.fashiondistraction.com/p/aboutfaq.html

    Four Eyes - http://www.eyeseyeseyeseyes.com/

    Katherine Is Awesome - http://katherineisawesome.com/

    Model.Net.Nz - http://model.net.nz/

    Rag Pony - http://www.rag-pony.com/

    Street & City Photos - http://streetandcityphotos.blogspot.com/

    The quality varies drastically between each, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I was all for this blog, however this is just unnecessary nitpicking. Sure, it may not be perfect (at least by your standards), but it doesn't deserve an entire post taking shots at it. I think it's a fantastic campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this site from a link on Isaac Likes and while I do applaud your willingness to give it a go, this is far from critically neutral content. Unfortunately it's starting to look like a diatribe against the country's stylists, which makes me wonder then if you're not just taking cheap shots at your possible competition. You are more than welcome to put your own opinion out there but as an established person in the international fashion industry it has a tinge of bitter competitiveness that I've seen far too many times before. The art of critique takes years to perfect and I would suggest that you start by finding a range of work that you appreciate (not just your own) and allow us an insight into what engages you. This is what will help New Zealand fashion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alex.

    Looking back over this blog, I do agree that it could come across as a diatribe against New Zealand stylists. This is certainly not intended.

    As I don't consider the blogs entire back catalogue before starting on something new, there is a chance that things will become naturally skewed in one direction or another. This depends purely on what I've been seeing/thinking about of late, rather than an intended attack on one particular group.

    When I referenced 'critically neutral content', I simply meant that for every negative post I made, I would also make one of positivity. It seems that I need to take it further to neutralise subject and topic too.

    Thank you for your input though - really. I started this blog as an attempt to allow my thoughts to develop and grow (not to allow me a serpent tongued soapbox), and your critique certainly helps me achieve that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I wish you the best but I doubt I will be returning to this blog. What the fashion industry needs in NZ are more quality designers and less unqualified people shooting them down, NZ doesn't need more freelance stylists or bloggers or amateur fashion critics- it needs people producing garments and engaging with the economy. There aren't enough quality garments in this country to produce the editorial required. There are already enough people with an 'honest' opinion'. Yes, the industry relies on dissemination of information, but it is so unbelievably saturated I think you need to ask yourself if your aim is really offering anything new.. and to be honest I don't think it is

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's suave reminds me of ABBA. Which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. should have read "especially next to her red lipstick that is so alluring..." dammit

      Delete
  10. Hey great wee piece of writing. don't think the tie stands out that much as the only non-white item to be honest, especially next to her red lipstick are so alluring and well positioned in the photo for maximum effect. I would have liked it if you had of included something about their individual gazes or something else insightful about the photograph to counterbalance the two things you didn't like. All in all, I'm really happy that you've taken the time to dissect the image so extensively as it definitely deserves it - it's an awesome campaign image. Zambesi is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete