Thursday 1 December 2011

Zambesi A/W12 NZFW Runway

Image - TheAList.co.nz


HOLY SHIT! The Zambesi A/W12 collection is top of the pops.

I don't consider myself to be a fashion critic by any means - I lack the historical knowledge and technical eye required for the role. But, I believe the Zambesi A/W12 collection shown at New Zealand Fashion Week 2011 to be their best in years. And what excited me just as much the clothes, was their excellent runway presentation.

For A/W12, Zambesi really upped their game.

Never using a dedicated stylist for their runway shows, I always found Zambesi to lack direction on the runway - especially once they decided on their love of Doc Martens. Every season featured the same listless models who displayed no obvious or immediate distinction from the seasons prior.

However, their A/W12 runway display broke from this tradition.

The hair, the make-up, the music - it was perfect. Bursting from the usual black frontstage, what I had expected to be another display of exclusively somber colours was anything but. Flourescent blues and yellows were perfectly placed within an incredibly sporty collection. The skull slick hair with sharp, to the point make-up was a perfect fit for the sporty, minimal aesthetic of the collection. The overarching sporting aesthetic of the runway presentation gave their customarily fitted garments reason and purpose. Gone was the nonchalant attitude that always seemed to contradict collections with such polish.

I suggest picking up a piece from this collection when it hits stores in March/April - it will go down in history as Zambesi's best since the glory years of the New Zealand Four in 1999/2000.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I have to disagree with you regarding the Zambesi show presentation at NZFW 2011. It was by far the most boring and uninspiring Zambesi show I've seen in years. All they did to personalise the space was stick a piece of yellow flouro tape at the end of the runway. How on earth does that qualify as an "excellent runway presentation"?

    The impression I got was that they couldn't afford to put on a real show this year so instead they attempted the 'minimal is cool' approach. It didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anon @ 9:08PM

    You may well be right that this show was an effort in cost-reduction, but what I liked was the no nonsense approach and upbeat production. It wasn't what I'd come to expect from Zambesi based on the few seasons prior.

    ReplyDelete